Hu was appointed vice president of China in 2007
Here are some facts about Chinese President Hu Jintao:
* Hu, who will retire from his role as president in March 2012, will be the first Chinese leader to hand power to a new team. He has been the Communist Party chief since 2002 and head of the state since 2003.
* Hu had been seen as a staunch advocate of economic reform even as he increased state control. He is credited with supporting the establishment of a private-sector-dominated market economy, but also established more power for the party.
* Hu was appointed vice president of China in 2007, then given the top party and state jobs a year later.
* From 1989 until the crackdown, Hu served as vice chairman of the military’s Central Military Commission, the highest ranking military post. He also led the armed forces from 1994 to 1997.
* He is a Marxist and calls for the party to be above politics. However, Hu has indicated the party should be more responsive to popular grievances.